When the at-fault party and their insurance company refuse to offer you fair compensation, you’ll need legal representation that gets results.
With over $500 million in settlements and verdicts, Edelman & Thompson offers injured plaintiffs the aggressive and compassionate representation their case deserves. Over the last 7 years, Edelman & Thompson has obtained more jury verdicts in Kansas City area courts than any other law firm, according to statistics compiled by the official Kansas City Jury Verdict Service. In addition, the Missouri Department of Labor statistics show that Edelman & Thompson has won more awards in the Kansas City Workers’ Compensation Division over the last 5 years than any other firm. We have the skill team and resources you need on your side.
Our attorneys will meet with you at any one of our five office locations in the Kansas City, Missouri, and Kansas City, Kansas, areas. Can’t come to us? We’ll visit you in your home or hospital room. Whenever you need us, we’ll be there to support you and fight for what you are owed.
Schedule a free, confidential case evaluation today by calling us or contacting us online.
How Our Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
Our team of 14 attorneys and experienced support staff are prepared to put all of our resources to work on your case. We’ll conduct a thorough investigation of your claim, gather the necessary evidence, and demand maximum compensation for your injuries.
While many claims are settled out of court, our firm prepares every case as if it will go to trial. If the insurance company offers you a lowball settlement or denies your claim outright, we won’t back down. We’ll take your case to court to go after what you deserve. Insurance companies know that we will take on large corporations and big insurance companies, and take cases to trial where necessary.
The initial consultations is completely free of charge, and there is no fee until we win your case.
Compensation for a Personal Injury
All accident victims wish their accident never happened, but after the fact, they need a law firm that knows how to get results. If you’re hurt in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you could be owed compensation for:
- Present and future medical bills
- Lost wages (including future wages if you become disabled)
- Money to repair or replace your vehicle, personal property, or other lost items
- Pain, suffering, and other non-economic damages
Other types of compensation could be available if the accident resulted in catastrophic injuries or death.
Statute of Limitations on Injury Claims in Missouri and Kansas
If you’ve been hurt in an accident that was someone else’s fault, it is crucial to contact an attorney as soon as possible to avoid an issue with the statute of limitations expiring. Many injury cases are complicated and require extensive investigation. Failure to file a claim within the statute of limitations means you will be unable to pursue compensation in almost all cases.
The statutes of limitation for Missouri and Kansas are generally as follows, although there may be exceptions depending on the specific case. Statutes of limitation generally run from the date of injury or the date in which the injured party becomes aware of their loss:
- Missouri negligence action (including motor vehicle accidents and slip and fall cases) -Five years
- Kansas negligence action – Two years
- Missouri wrongful death – Three years
- Kansas wrongful death – Two years
- Missouri medical malpractice – Two years
- Kansas medical malpractice – Two years
If you are unsure as to whether or not you have time to file a claim, consult with one of our Kansas City experienced personal injury attorneys today. There are some narrow exceptions that could extend the time for filing a claim.
What to Do If You Have Been Harmed Due to Negligence
It is wise to take the following precautions if you were hurt in an accident caused by someone else’s careless or reckless actions:
- NEVER leave the scene of any injury accident. This may not only discredit your claim but may also have criminal implications, specifically in the case of car accidents.
- NEVER give false statements to anyone in law enforcement. Honesty goes far with investigators, courts, and juries.
- ALWAYS seek medical attention. Even if you’re feeling fine and you believe your injuries are minor, you may have a serious injury that has not yet become apparent.
- ALWAYS take photographs if possible. The more evidence you collect, the stronger your case can be. If you are unable to take pictures yourself, ask someone to do it for you.
- NEVER engage in a physical altercation, even if you’re upset after an accident. The worst thing you can do is show anger.
- NEVER remove anything from the accident scene, even if it is something you believe is insignificant.
- ALWAYS contact an attorney to discuss your case. Edelman & Thompson is a trusted personal injury firm that offers free consultations and claim reviews.
Types of Personal Injury Cases Our Firm Handles
Edelman & Thompson handles virtually every kind of personal injury claim, focusing on cases where the negligence of another party has caused damages in the form of medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Edelman & Thompson also handles workers’ compensation cases. In those cases, negligence is not an issue. As long as the injury occurs within the course and scope of one’s employment, they are automatically entitled to all of the benefits provided by workers’ compensation system even in the absence of another party’s negligence.
Our team of experienced injury attorneys has extensive experience helping clients with:
- Workplace Injuries – Employees head into work each day expecting to perform their duties without incident or injury. Workers who are hurt on the job are often aware that they can claim benefits from their employer’s worker’s compensation policies. What many don’t realize is if they are hurt due to the recklessness or carelessness of a third party – such as a contractor, property owner, or another driver, for example – they could be owed additional compensation through what is referred to as a “third-party claim.”
- Car and Truck Crashes – If you were hurt in a collision with a passenger or commercial vehicle, our attorneys are prepared to help you seek the compensation you deserve to pay your medical bills, recover lost wages, and repair or replace your damaged vehicle, as well as compensation for pain and suffering and other losses.
- Wrongful Death – When a person is killed due to a negligent or intentional act, the surviving family members are forced to deal with intense grief and personal upheaval. Spouses, dependents, and others are often left to without the emotional and financial support they counted on. Our firm fights for the future of survivors, not just their present-day needs.
- Defective Products – Consumers count on the products they buy to be safe for consumption or use. If they are hurt or become ill after using the product as intended, they could be eligible to take action against the manufacturer, distributor, retailer, and others along the supply chain.
- Insurance Claims – Dealing with an insurance company can be challenging, which is why our team of attorneys is here to help. We know how policies are written and how to evaluate them and can negotiate with the insurance company when compensation is owed. If you need to file a claim, turn to our experienced team for help.
- Slip-and-Fall Cases – Slips, trips, and falls send thousands of people to emergency rooms each year. When a property owner fails to address known hazards or hazards they should have known about and someone gets hurt, they could be liable for the harm that person suffered. We are ready to help injured victims hold property owners and managers accountable if they failed to exercise proper care.
- Medical Malpractice – Our medical malpractice attorneys have extensive experience handling malpractice claims against major hospitals, clinics, and private practices. If a doctor or another medical professional’s actions or failure to act caused you unnecessary harm, you could be eligible to take legal action.
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect – Edelman & Thompson fights for victims of nursing home abuse and neglect. We firmly believe that those who are placed in the care of nursing homes or other facilities should be treated with dignity and respect. If your loved one has been abused, neglected, or taken advantage of, we will be there to take strong action on your family’s behalf.
Put Edelman & Thompson in Your Corner
When you hire us to help with your personal injury case, you’ll get the power of one of Kansas City’s largest and most respected injury firms behind you. We are here to give victims and their families the quality representation that they deserve in their time of need.
If we successfully obtain a settlement or verdict for you, our fee is a percentage of that recovery. On work injury cases, our fee is 25 percent. On most other cases, the fee is 33 1/3 percent of your settlement – much less than the 40 or 50 percent charged by some other law firms. We are reimbursed for our out-of-pocket expenses only if we win your case.
With five locations in the Kansas City metropolitan area, we handle claims in both Kansas and Missouri on a regular basis. An experienced member of our team is never far away from you. Turn to us for help if you’ve been hurt by someone else’s reckless or careless actions. We’ll fight for you, and we won’t rest until you get the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a free consultation with us by calling us, by chatting online, or by filling out a contact form today.